[linrad] linrad operation

Hallo Leif,
Thank you for your comments on the waterfall. But what is the N I have to
adapt?

But I think it is usefull to inform you about what happens here ( version 44
and higher).

I will tell you what happens in the various steps.

I start with the function U to set up the a/d convertor.

Linrad comes back with nrs 32 and 33 which are dsp and the linked dsp0.
It tells that the max sampling rate is 192000, 2 ch., 16 bit and all the
three RW modes.

I choose 32 , 1 channel. A warning comes that device does not respond
correctly to speed setting command. But it finishes with configured without
errors.

pressing A then results in

200 Hz, sin(3), FFT version 0, storage 2s, amplitude 100, second FFT 0 which
then results in :

DMA15 mode 0 16 bit MMX present, 1st fft size 128, increment 64, SIMD
present, 1st fft sin3, BW 62,5 Hz, 1st fft buffer 131 kB, timing FFFT
version 0 : ...radix 2 DIF C
0,53% N189, buffer 0/128.

I press Y

I chhose 1 channel first mixer.
Then the picture comes up.

Without input signal between 500>3000 Hz about 0 dB on the graph and
pressing A gives:
A/D 57,24, 2,7%, 0,0007, floor 0.0

After inserting a noise signal I see the graph between 500 and 200 Hz around
60 dB with ( the input is only noise) a weak signal around 1000 Hz.
A gives : A/D 14,64, 4,0 % 0,0005 floor 0.0.

When putting the green line on the graph a spurious signal is visible
dependant on the output tone frequency ( some image I suppose) and the ouput
level.

So far so good.

But then : I switch console for changing the mixer controls. After having
done this I have to restart linrad ( it does not survive console switching)
and then pressing A the graphs appear but the mouse is very slow.
pressing the A then gives A/D 14,01 , 89,2% !!!!, 0,0003, floor 0,0.
If I then let it go linrad locks and I have to go to another console to kill
it.
If I press X-P fast enough I do the setup again by confirming the already
present parameters and the linrad runs with about the same values as with
the first setup.

So something is happening when restarting Linrad.

This is the reason I give you all those details, for it might give you an
indication what I am doing wrong.

The program runs on a Thinkpad600E, 350 MHz pentium, 128 MB RAM , soundcart
set up by ALSA ( which is quite integrated in SuSE 7.3) for general CS4236+.
This card  in this thinkpad anyhow is a strange device for alsa sees another
card but mentions that for thinkpad this (PCI) card shall not be chosen but
the cs4236 emulation in stead. In windows both interfaces of this card are
seen/setup.

Well I copy this message to the group. Others might have related experiences

73

Arie, PA0EZ