Re: [linrad] Intel 82801E Display Adapter

Hi, Sigurd,

You probably know all of this already, but I enclose a copy from the readme.chips
page of the opensound.com website [OSS].

Here it is:

AC97 codecs
-----------

The AC97 standard is based on two kind of chips. The 'AC97 codec'
is the chip that performs the analog to digital (AD) and digital to analog (DA)
conversions and works as the mixer. OSS supports _ALL_ AC97 codecs (because
practically they are all the same).

However all the 'AC97 controller' chips are different and OSS needs to have
a dedicated low level driver for each of them.

Examples of the AC97 codec chips (many others are available too):
- Analog Devices AD1881
- AKM AK4540
- Sigmatel STAC9700, STAC9701, STAC9721, STAC9704, STAC9708, etc.
- Crystal/Cirrus CS4297
- TR28023

Examples of AC97 controllers currently supported by OSS
- Aureal Vortex (AU8820) and Vortex2 (AU8830)
- ESS Maestro-1 and Maestro-2
- Crystal CS4280
- Trident 4D Wave
- Creative/Ensoniq ES1371/ES1373 (AudioPCI, SB PCI16, PCI64, PCI128)
- Creative SB Live!
- Yamaha YMF724/YMF734/YMF740/YMF744
- Avance Logic ALS300
- Neomagic NM2200
- Intel 810 motherboard chipset
- VIA VT82C686A "south bridge" (motherboard chipset)
- Others to be added in future

Its a long-long time ago now, but I think I had to buy an optional driver from OSS
for my Crystal CS4280 AC-97 controller.  Of course I had to do that for Delta44.

Hope that helps,

Roger Rehr
W3SZ

----- Original Message Follows -----
> Thanks for the help.  It turned out that /etc/X11R6/XF86Config  had the
> mouse protocol as IMPS/2, and /etc/vga/svga.conf had the protocol as PS/2.
> Now the mouse works just fine and I can begin to try and troubleshoot
> problems getting oss to work with the Intel AC-97 Audio Controller.
>
> 73.... Sigurd

73,
Roger Rehr
W3SZ