RE: [linrad] RE: IC706MKIIG

It is my opinion that the K2 by Elecraft still leads the pack if what
you care about is receiver performance.  If you need all the bells
and whistles of the Orion, then spend the money.

You may visit:

http://www.elecraft.com

and click on the rig comparison tab to see a comparison of the Elecraft
K2 with many receivers, including the Orion, based on ARRL lab
measurements.  The K2 is currently the best buy per Euro.  By the way,
with modifications that will soon be forthcoming, and with an $800
soundcard (Lynx Studios L22), I can equal or exceed the performance
of the Elecraft K2 with a modified SDR-1000.  The software defined
radios of the Linrad, SDRConsole added to a good RF interface such
as SDR-1000, R2Pro, etc. type are about to really take over the
performance numbers.

For the information of those interested here, there was a design
flaw in the SDR-1000.  Gerald put the noise figure setting amplifier
AFTER the mixer.  Thus he is amplifying the phase noise and the spurs
of the DDS, thermal noise in the mixer, along with signal of interest.
He is still getting performance that I would not have believed possible
before we discovered the problem.  Moving the gain out front of the mixer
along with better filtering, the SDR-1000 improves tremendously. I
believe at one time there was one or more people here attempting to
homebrew the commutating mixer/sample hold circuit no longer referred
to as Tayloe detector (there is much prior art).  It is important to
set the noise figure ahead of the mixer (DUH!).

Bob
N4HY