RE: [linrad] SDR Hardware

The R2Pro or the SDR-1000 are both good ways to do some software defined radio.
I will point out again for you a design flaw in the SDR-1000 that I pointed out a few
days ago here, maybe you missed it.  The INA's, the instrumentation amplifiers,
provide most of the SDR-1000 system gain.  They are AFTER the sample and hold,
mixer (which some call the Tayloe Detector, Gerald calls the Quadrature Sampling
Detector).  This means that the signal of interest from the antenna is added to the
phase noise and spurs and thermal noise of the QSD before the signal is amplified.
It is clear that this is wrong to have all of the gain after.  You have competing
interests here: linearity and noise figure.  If you move all of that gain out in front
of the mixer, then the demands on that preamplifier/front end become quite
demanding since it must operate from 0 to 75 Mhz and be very linear with good
IP3, etc.  My current best mix is 20 dB out front with 6 dB after using a GALI-6
in front of the mixer.  This was recommended to me by Mike Cresap, W3IP
and it has been a good performer.

With the R2Pro, there is more hardware hands on to do:

http://www.seboldt.net/k0jd/

and with the SDR-1000, after the dust settles on re-doing the front end, and
possibly adding better filters for ham band coverage,  all the work is
software.  Currently, all of the work going on on the SDR-1000 outside of
a couple of people is being done in the software arena.

http://www.flex-radio.com

and I suggest you join the forum and see all of the musings, etc.

http://www.flex-radio.com/forum

In addition to this, Gerald's resource page is very helpful.

Also, the DSP-10, with the recent additions by Lyle KK7B make for very
interesting SDR work:

http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/kitsf.html

and the top three listings are for the DSP-10 and the KK7B DSP add on module.
This same module is the new DSP module that Elecraft is offering for the
fabulous K2.

GnuRadio

( http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuradio/gnuradio.html )

and the upcoming USRP (Universal Software Radio Peripheral)

It is a very exciting time for receiver work in ham radio with Linrad, SDR, GnuRadio
are really changing the way we think about receiver work and homebrewing
receivers.

For my money, having done all of the above, the potential for the QSD (Tayloe
detector) is extremely large.  The numbers I can measure in the lab tell me
that with careful design work, this can be the basis for the greatest receiver
in all numbers.

Bob